Monday, December 17, 2007

The Racist Shopper

So the salesguy at Olympia Sports must totally think I'm racist. (note: he is African-American, I am not)

He comes to help me and I'm looking at a Wes Welker (strike 1) jersey for my nephew. I tell him I want a Small, but I can't get this one because there is a stain on it. He helps me look through.

Salesman: I have Moss in a small!
Erik: Eh... I don't want to get Moss (strike 2). I don't know if he'll be on the team next year.
Salesman: Oh Moss? He'll DEFINITELY be on the team.
Erik: Well he only signed a one year deal, so....

Then I sorta find out that the Welker small is a size 4, and the Moss small is a size 8. No idea, I know. Call me when my non-existent kids are in Jr High I might then have an idea about these number sizes. Anyway, I'm playing through and discover a Welker jersey that is a Medium aka size 5-6. Lookie here. So we compare and do determine the medium is smaller than that Moss Small/Size 8. So I'm a little thrown off but I'm a quick learner so I think I can pull off this Welker.

Finally I ask, "Got any Brady?"

And there's strike 3 folks. Welker, okay Moss, no. Brady, okay. Hmmmmmmm. But really, my nephew wouldn't know anyone besides Brady. He's 3. So they didn't have Brady so I got the Welker. If I find a Brady somewhere I can return this. Welker is cool, but will the kid have any idea - who knows. Moss,I swear I'm being truthful about concerns he will sign somewhere else next year. He is playing so well, that his market value will skyrocket and when do the Pats ever shell out for that? I don't remember Welker's deal but I hope there's a few years on it. He'll be around.

I was tempted to throw out one more name to cover my tracks like "Got any Randall Gay jerseys?" but I paid the man and was on my way.


ps Amazing they didn't have Brady. They must just be out. I'd almost expect them to have no player besides Brady. I saw Welker & Moss, Bruschi, Maroney, and Adalius Thomas in various non-small sizes. I hit two different Olympia's, a Foot Locker, a Kids Foot Locker, a TJ Maxx, and a Marshalls.

No comments: