Monday, January 28, 2008

If I were in Charge...

I'd like to make this a new game. We'll call it, "If I were in Charge." I'm not going to set a timeline as to how often I'll run with this gimmick, but let's just say, I have some ideas.

If I were in charge...

- ... of the National Hockey League, I would have made sure the players were playing in their team jerseys and not "East" or "West" uniforms in the All Star game. The main problem here is that Joe Fan needs a lot of help in figuring out who is who. If the East is wearing their home white "club" unis, and the West is wearing the road darks, it'll work just fine. If I see a fast guy scooting down the ice wearing a Capitals jersey, I'm going to know that's Alexander Ovechkin. When they're all wearing the same uniform colors, I'm going to have to actually pay attention to who is who, and that takes a little too much focus then I'm willing to give. The league needs to identify their players better. It was basically red vs. white last night, and the goalies wore mics. Super. This is the one point in the season when more than 10 people are watching the game. And it's an all star game - maybe it's a good idea to just have them play without helmets, since no one is checking and no one is taking slap shots. That's a good idea, too, since now we can put some names to these faces.

1 comment:

Erik said...

If they wore their team uniforms, the league wouldn't receive additional revenue in ugly red & white jersey sales. We wish pro sports, and NCAA for that matter, weren't 100% about bottom line profit but unfortunately they are.