Monday, January 7, 2008

Dot the 'i' in Ohio

Didn't think it would come to this, but I'm cheering for tOSU tonight. Thats hard to swallow. But here's the reasoning:

- I have them to cover the +4.5 in my head-to-head picks with Scott.
- It doesn't seem fair its in New Orleans, but then again BC played Michigan in the 1998 hockey national championship at the Fleet Center, but I digress since the Eagles lost in OT.
- I'm not happy with Les Miles stringing along both Michigan and LSU in that rumor mill. You're either with the Tigers, or you're gonna jump elsewhere, but you and your family decide that long before these situations come up.
- LSU is good, but they underachieved all year and I just don't think they deserve. 2 losses. Other games which they struggled. The reason they are in this game is that their name is LSU and they wear LSU uniforms.

Don't get me wrong, LSU is probably the best team and most talented team in the land, but why is the national championship decided on signing day 3-4 years ago? They should earn their way to this game on the playing field, and I didn't see enough to justify their inclusion. No more than anyone else in the BCS games.
So when the favored Tigers win the game and hoist the trophy a short bus ride away from campus, I'm not gonna be satisfied with the NCAA football season.

If tOSU were to win, they'd have at least earned it. Not by losing to Illinois, not by playing Youngstown, Kent, Akron, Miami Oh, Toledo, Bowling Green, Cleveland State, or whomever they played.... not by backing in to the title game by simply having everyone else lose.... but they'd earn it in tonight's game by beating LSU & their talent & their fans right there in the State of Louisiana. I can feel a little better about that.

So don't save a stool for me at Barleycorns in Chicago to sit with the Buckeye fans, no thank you, but I'm putting differences aside and giving a big cheer for Mike Vrabel's boys.


ps All bets are off if I see Maurice Clarett on the sidelines wearing a skully cap or a fur coat.

3 comments:

Scott said...

LSU could conceivably have 5 losses this season - if I remember correctly, it went to the wire vs. Auburn, Florida, and I think Bama.

Erik said...

and Tennessee came out on them in the SEC Championship Game, then later took a lead into the 4th quarter.

CJ said...

one thing to consider about your they shouldnt win on signing day rationale. OSU shouldn't win because they have shadier boosters.

Tressell has to be one of the biggest cheaters in the land. I'm certain LSU cheats, but I think we can all agree OSU has a top 3 dirty program in the nation.