Friday, November 2, 2007

Picks and Stuff!

Alright, so the picks aren't going so great. I'm saving up my wins for bowl season, anyway. Erik doesn't know this yet, but each bowl game counts double, and the BCS games count triple.

A lot has happened in the 2 and a half weeks since we had our daughter. Off the top of my head:

- She was born minutes after Dice K gave up a 2 run gomer to Lofton. I mean, the timing couldn't have been more perfect... I was fed up with the game anyway.
- 2 weeks later they won their second World Series of my lifetime, in convincing form. Ironically, it was the first of my daughters lifetime. Weird to think of it that way.
- The Pats rolled over both the Dolphins and the Redskins. Both games were interesting to the media, only because they've now decided that the Pats are winning games by too many points, now. I don't know, you figure it out. Apparently, millionaire football players supposedly have hurt feelings because they suck at their job.
Are the Pats running up the score? Hell yea, they are running up the score. And I love it. More, more, more, I say.
Note to the national media frauds: You haven't seen running it up yet. Tune in on December 14th when Belichick is calling for onsides kicks with a 60 point lead. You guys will love that.
- BC won a miraculous road game last Thursday. This weekend is the prototypical BC letdown game vs. a team they should beat. I sense something different, though. In years past, you'd chalk this up as a loss against an inferior opponent because so much was at stake. This year? They have better coaching, and way too much senior leadership.
- Joe Torre didn't waste any time. It will take about 3 months before we can definitively say one way or the other whether Joe Torre actually makes a difference to wins and losses. Was it the great mastermind, Joe Torre, all these years, or was it the 200 million dollar sqaud all these years? I've always found Torre to be a good guy, despite his Yankee ties, but I've also always thought he is a horribly overrated manager when it comes to managing a bullpen. Torre loves wearing guys out by July - that's partly due to bad bullpen depth, and partly due to Torre not seeing the bigger picture that the season is 6 months long and you'll need these arms fresh in September (see: Francona, Tito).
- Oh yea, and of course, the debut of KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce tonight. Good god. Even Steven A. Smith is on board, proclaiming the Celts will win the East. I haven't heard one of those "YOU CAN'T TRADE BIG AL JEFFERSON NO MATTER WHAT" in months. Where did all those people go? Does anyone remember that we had Al Jefferson?
Week 10 picks:
UConn -2 vs. Rutgers - UConn continues to win big games, and this will be their second straight game in front of their home crowd with the Big East on the line. I find 2 points to be pretty favorable against a team that lost at home to Maryland

Maryland +3 at UNC - Wow, that's insulting. Fridge should be on the chopping block just for being a 3 point dog to the Tar Heels. Yikes.

Nebraska +20.5 at Kansas - I'm not buying a 3 TD win here.

Arkansas -5.5 vs. South Carolina - "They" tell me to take home unranked favorites vs. ranked teams. "They" have been right on this theory but then they have been wrong. Unfortunately, "they" leave me to fend for myself on every other game.

Florida -15 vs. Vanderbilt - I don't know. I used to think Florida was really good.

6 comments:

Scott said...

oh yea, my lock is UCONN

Erik said...

Home unranked favorites vs. ranked teams didn't pan out for the Ramblin Wreck last night.

Scott said...

no, bud foster had their number.

Scott said...

oooh 3-1-1, how do we like dem apples!

Anonymous said...

no lock of the week??

Scott said...

anonymous/rivers - lock was uconn - see first comment.