Friday, August 24, 2007

Did You Know?

So, I thought I'd analyze some stats, and throw some of them out to our 4 readers. Hopefully, they will make you say, "Huh, I did not realize that. I'm really happy I went to The BBBQ to find this out."

First stat that I found interesting:
As of this posting, there are 43 pitchers in the majors with an ERA under 4.00. That seemed like a lot to me. So, let's compare that to last season, when only 28 pitchers had an ERA under 4.00

Did you know, that in 2001, Hideo Nomo of the Boston Red Sox led the American League in strikeouts? The top 5 that season in the majors were Randy Johnson, Schilling (yikes, same team), Nomo, Chan Ho Park, Kerry Wood.

Clearly, American hitters had no idea what the Asians were throwing them. They caught on fast, though.

In 2000, Pedro Martinez had a 1.74 ERA over 217 innings. The next closest American League pitcher was Roger Clemens at 3.70.

I'll say it again. Pedro Martinez had an ERA almost 2 full runs ahead of the next closest guy in his league.

The top 10 OPS guys in the majors, this season:
Bonds, A-Rod, Magglio, Chipper, M. Cabrera, Papi, Utley, Prince, Mark Texeira.


I've got to say, I'm surprised to see Utley's name on that list.

Here's a weird one. While looking up random rookie stats, I see that Chris B. Young has 26 homers. Pretty impressive. Somehow he only has 47 RBI, though. I guess that's typical of the National League, but 26 homers and 47 RBI is off the wall strange.

Maybe Rivers can enlighten us on what is the most homers with the fewest RBIs.

Final random stat: Christian Guzman led the majors in triples in 2000, 2001, and 2003.

I've got him on my list of "guys who probably did steroids."

6 comments:

CJ said...

Chris Hoiles has the least RBI in a season (40) for a guy with 20 hr.

how about the fact that there is a pitcher named Mark McLemore? What are the odds there would be 2 baseball players with such a random name.

Anecdote: Brooks Robinson, when he was announcing for the O's, found it impossible to correctly pronounce the name Mark McLemore. He was either Mack McElmore, or Mack Marklemore, or Mack McLemore.

CJ said...

also, I think Guzman was hitting triples b/c he was playing in the Metrodome. such a fast track. though he could have been doing steroids. His 2005 Nats stats are beyond dreadful.

He seemed to have turned it around this year. Then he got hurt and is out for the year.

Scott said...

also, Rivers, I think the pitcher McLemore is a white lefty.

Scott said...

as far as guzman goes, he just seems suspect to me.

have other twins led the league in triples? luis castillo? they have lots of guzman types, but he's the only one that was routinely getting 15+ triples.

Erik said...

Who'd have thought Mark McLemore would make for the most interesting BBBQ discussion to date?

Scott said...

well, im waiting for someone other than duce and us to chime in on something. thats when we'll hit it big time.

we got an "anonymous" the other day - but i really think it was probably rivers.