Friday, October 5, 2007

Friday = Thoughts and Picks!!

It's Friday!! Wow, never thought I'd get to this point this week. But we've made it.
















Some thoughts before I get to my picks of the week:

- I have a degree in Sports Management. I need to apply to the NHL and fix this mess. Honestly, I had NO IDEA that the season started this week. I thought they were still playing exhibition games. Who knew? No one talks about it, no one knows about it, and no one except your die hards would know who Sidney Crosby is, even if he was sitting on your couch. It's a rhetorical question, but what is Gary Bettman doing over there? It's a joke. First of all, there are too many teams, too many replaceable Euros, and little to zero successful marketing of the sport. It was less than 5 years ago that I never missed a Bruins game. Now, I could care less. What was different 5 years ago? What was hockey like in the mid-90s? That's what hockey needs to be now - because everyone in the northeast watched hockey in the mid-90s. 10 years later, they've run the sport into the ground, and at this rate, within 5 years we'll all be able to name more Major League Lax players than NHL players. Sad, but true. Unless of course, the NHL reads this blog and contacts me. I've got a million and one ideas to save the sport (and yes, fighting and goons are prominently involved - much like they were when hockey was awesome).

- The Yanks got blown out last night. I love that, obviously. But at the same time, wouldn't you basically bet the farm on Andy Petitte tonight? Questions leading into game 2: Will A-Rod fold like a cheap tent? And if so, can we shut up once and for all about him coming to Boston. Will Cleveland's young guys continue game 1's dominance throughout the rest of the post season? And finally, who in the hell were these pitchers the Yankees trotted out there after the Wanger last night? I still don't remember that first reliever's name. He made their 25 man squad??

- Dice K tonight. This is what spending 100 million plus is all about. Honestly, though, I'd be content with 6 innings and 3 runs. I'm not looking for a repeat of Beckett here.

- Speaking of Beckett, is this guy incredible, or what? What a horse. He finished a game in 2.5 hours, nevermind the fact that each break between innings took 10 minutes.

- Speaking of commericals. What's your favorite Frank TV commercial? What's your favorite Sonic commercial (I'd go with the bacon cheddar steak extra long sub roll where they interview each other in the car). I've never been or seen a Sonic, yet their commercials dominate the airwaves up here. And I love their marketing strategy. "We're Sonic. Come here and die of heart failure. Go to Subway if you want to be healthy."

- Okay, I've stalled long enough. Picks time.

11-14 on the season, 3-2 lock of the week:

Illinois -2 vs. Wisconsin
Kansas State -3.5 vs. Kansas
Georgia -1 at Tennessee
Maryland +4 vs. Georgia Tech
Purdue +7.5 vs. Ohio State (LOCK OF THE WEEK)

2 comments:

Erik said...

Shouldn't "Fixing the NHL" be an entire course at UMass?

Frank TV - I'll go with Madden.

Scott said...

7 years ago our papers were "how to start a women's soccer league." bor-ing! of course that's going to fail.

if i took that job in new haven, maybe i'd be in NHL HQ now with a million ideas and those knuckleheads would probably still ignore me.

sick organization.